[mythtv-users] New to the whole DirecTV thang.

Tarek Lubani tarek at tarek.2y.net
Thu May 8 22:57:21 EDT 2003

I personally use a Uniden 100 (I think). This is not a reliable receiver
for receiving commands, though myth certainly added life to it by giving
it a new OSD, etc.

Personally, I recommend a not-brand-new receiver, since brand new
receivers are kind of wasting their talent as myth boxes... And, of
course, make sure that it has some sort of communication method that is
serial. It is *much* easier than trying to communicate with something
using an IR transmitter..

I think the perennial faves are RCA and Sony receivers, though I suppose
anything with the serial connectors would be OK.. As an extended aside
there, you might want to avoid the ones with "home control" jacks, since
they require some sort of adaptor, though I hope somebody corrects me if
I'm mistaken..

here's a page with a few models and success with them:

http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

tarek : )