[mythtv-users] Tivo debuts slimmed-down TV service

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu May 8 23:43:35 EDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 09:41  PM, Ben Davis wrote:

> Joseph Caputo wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested to see the hardware specs... wonder if it might
>> make a
>> decent Myth box?  Of course, based on the current generation of Tivo
>> hardware, I'd say probably not.
>>
> The idea of putting Linux on a Tivo is pretty new to me..  Is this
> actually possible??  I mean, it would make much more sense to me
> buying hardware that's made for TV recording rather than spending
> almost twice as much building a full-on computer...  Would this really
> be possible? I would think there would be some serious hardware driver
> issues...

This is almost certainly impossible. The reason people (foolishly) get
their hopes up about TIVO is that it runs linux right now. The stock
software from TIVO is in fact linux based. However, the chance of
getting a stock linux distro to install and work with all that
proprietary hardware is near null. Furthermore, the TIVO architecture
(slow ass CPU and hardware encode/decode) would complicate things even
more. The short answer is .... forget it.

Cedar