[mythtv-users] commercial skipping recorded shows

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Fri May 9 21:58:34 EDT 2003

Craig Longman wrote:

> records from 2000-2100.  i'm home while this is recording, so i decide
> to watch it.  i watch it and like it very much, so at 2130h, i decide
> i want to watch it again.  now, when i skip commercials, its
> unbearably slow, with lots of disk activity, like there is no seektable.

I think I see that as well. I have some (long ago recorded) recording,
in which fastforward is terribly slow, about 2-3 times as fast as
playback, skipping 10 mins forward takes several minutes. Bookmarks
(saving positions) don't work either.

And I have one which doesn't want to play at all anymore - it used to,
but quickly went totally out of sync. Now, when I try to step into it,
the player does nothing (not even a "state none to watchingprerecorded"
on the console), and the backend has 100% CPU seemingly forever (30
minutes and more? for a 1 hour programme). Running it in gdb and
aborting it shows that it's somewhere stuck in threading code
(wait-something, no mythtv code in the bt at all). I tried using the
code (both backend and frontend) from before the ringbuffer changes, but
that crashes immediately.

I think with all of them, I shortly looked into the in-process recording
back then, to check that the recording is working correctly.