[mythtv-users] suggested hardware?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat May 10 13:12:17 EDT 2003

> Nope, the ASUS site itself says "CPU Support: Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478
> 2.8GHz+". And every site I found it, fits the thing with a P4 2.8GHz, those
> are $264-400...

I'm running mine with a 2.0 Ghz p4 celeron....   Though after some
slow/weird performance in Myth, I think I may upgrade to a 2.4 p4...

> And not to be all negative; Does anybody know if those boxes bought in the
> USA are European (230V) compatible? It seems to have a 110V(?)-230V switch
> on this picture (not that there are any shops that ship international):
> http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/56-110-005-04.JPG

the power supply does indeed have a voltage switch.

> Q: Would/can you sleep 'next' to it (in the same room)? Is it that silent
> (~25dB)?

when idle, the loudest thing in the machine is the processor fan, which
spins REALLY slowly (~100-120rpm, I'd guess).  However, after using it
for awhile last night, it got a little louder.  Still not as loud as my
wife's dell p3 machine (and nowhere near as loud as my dual athlon)...
If you were to put it into a cupboard, you'd have a hard time hearing
it.  If it was out in the open, you might hear it from across the room
(my fridge is louder, though), but I don't think it'd be anything too
bad.

-Chris