[mythtv-users] two and one

Cedar cedarmckay at mac.com
Tue May 13 14:31:31 EDT 2003

>1) I'm curious as to what brings people to try out MythTV.  Is it the geeky
>pleasure of building something oneself?  Is it wanting to be independent
>from TiVo's feature control or fate?  Is it cost?  Is it the extra features
>that one can't get from the commercial PVRs out there?

With careful buying a myth setup can be cheaper than a TIVO if you don't
count your time. But since I'm having fun, I don't think I should count
my time. Myth particulary shines in the cost department when you start
thinking about higher end setups. The ability to add storage cheaply, to
have multiple tuners, and multiple (low cost) front ends blow TIVO away
cost wise. Only if you want an entry level PVR, with no "extras", and no
prospect of expansion do you win cost wise with a TIVO. Plus it is hours
of geeky fun, I have learned a ton about linux, and I'm not dependent on
any company!

>Spec'ing out a Athlon/shuttle/WinTV-PVR/IR box, I can't quite seem to make
>it cost less than a TiVo + a year's service, so I'm trying to figure out
>why it's still really alluring to me to try building one.

Many people insist on buying pretty expensive hardware for this project.
They come to the list hoping for suggestions for $400-500 dollar
hardware, then say "by the way, I want it to be powerful enough to drop
in a second tuner, be really small, look really good, be quiet, etc etc
etc". People want the impossible.  Instead how about buying a sub 2Ghz
processor, 256 ram, sub 100 gig HD, a cheap software based tuner card,
cheap board like an nforce with built in nic, sound, video, and a
cheap/ugly/loud case. I know you can do that for well under $500. If you
work at it you could probably do it for less than $400. Then put the
damn case in a closet or something. I did, and ran a few wires through
the wall. Damn these cute little cases that are quiet and good looking
if they force you to use expensive hardware.

> Anyone on the list have a
>non-technical family member who's taken to mythtv easily?

Techy people only for setup. Daily use is very easy for everyone in the
househod and they all love it. In fact, I shudder to think what would be
done to me if I took away my girlfriend's "tv thingy".

best,
Cedar