[mythtv-users] two directv receivers, one tv-card

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed May 14 10:03:58 EDT 2003

I don't use the specific card you have, but my understanding of vidcap
cards in general is that a vidcap card can use only one of its inputs (in
this case, Television (="coaxial") or Composite1 (="composite")) at any one
time. So while you certainly should be able to *switch* between these two
inputs, using them will not let you **simultaneously** record from one
while watching TV from the other. For that, you need 2 cards (or, more
exactly, 2 v4l devices, which usually means 2 cards).

This should address your first concern:

>Overall, I'd like to at least be able to watch a different station while
>recording another.  Is there a way to manipulate this using both
>receivers, or should I buy another tv-card?

As to your second concern:

>However, when I hit 'c' to change inputs to
>the another video input that is configured to "Television" and uses the
>coaxial input on the tv-card, all i get is a blue screen like it doesn't
>recognize the input. Am I doing something wrong?

You don't really say what you are *doing* (except for the minor detail of
how you are using the UI), so it is impossible to say if you are doing
something *wrong*. You don't even really describe what this "another video
input" is (from the Myth side of it, I mean). It reads like you're
connecting to to the vidcap card's Television input an external tuner ("dtv
receiver"), presumably one that will output its signal to some TV channel
or other.

But we need details ... responding based on guesses is too much work. What
*is* the "input" that the vidcap card, or perhaps MythTV, doesn't
recognize? That is, what channel does the dtv receiver *output* on? What
frequency set is it using? Is Myth tuned to that channel? What else can you
tell us about the hookup you are attempting?