[mythtv-users] Crappy looking fonts when run from autologin/.xinitrc, beautiful fonts when run from KDM/terminal session

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed May 14 13:14:03 EDT 2003

Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure why the font problem, but here's a couple of
little things:

- get rid of the '&' at the end of your 'xset' command, it's not needed
- make mythfrontend the last thing (no '&'), add a '&' to blackbox, so:

xset -dpms s off
irxevent &
blackbox &
mythfrontend

like so.  I suppose it might be possible that if you start mythfrontend
before the window manager, weird things could happen.  It's certainly worth
a try.  Plus, this has the added feature of terminating your X session if
mythfrontend dies.  If this is not desired, you can tweak the script to
respawn mythfrontend in an infinite loop, or something like that.

Incidentally, I have a similar setup (using fvwm) with no font problems.
However, my script, instead of living as .xinitrc, lives as
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/MythSession.  I have gdm set up to auto-login the 'tv'
user, with the default session for the 'tv' user defined to be MythSession.
Works fine, except it seems the minimum login delay is 5 seconds for gdm
(but that's only annoying if mythfrontend crashes & the session restarts).

-JAC