[mythtv-users] Wireless

Jason Dinkelmann jason at thedinks.org
Wed May 14 20:02:21 EDT 2003

Hi:

I am just getting started collecting all the hardware that I need to set up
my first Myth box. I am fairly new to the whole Linux thing, but not too
new.

Couple of questions:
1)  if I wanted to run a separate front-end from the backend, could I do it
using a wireless (802.11b) card?  Would that give enough bandwidth to play
the movies and watch live TV?  I currently have an iBook and a win-PC on the
network so I thought I could add another AP if it would give enough
bandwidth.  I'd prefer (the wife demands) not to have wires all over the
place.

2)  For the front end, would a PII 333 be fast enough?

3) here is my current thoughts on a backend set up:
1.7ghz Celeron
256 DDR
80GB WD HDD
PVR-250 W/remote
WinTV (404)
On board sound (might get a sound blaster Live!)

4) I need an good, inexpensive TV out card, any suggestions on that?

I guess that is it for now.  Just wanted to say thanks to all the developers
and especially Isaac for all the hard work that has been put into this
project.  As some people have pointed out recently, this project outshines
most any commercially available PVR.  Keep up the great work!

--
Jason Dinkelmann
jason at thedinks.org