[mythtv-users] Problems with NVidia TV-OUT

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Fri May 16 20:48:11 EDT 2003

At 06:26 PM 5/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I have MythTV running for a while and I like it a lot. The only reason why
>I am
>not using it yet exclusively is that my TV out is funky. What it looks like is
>that it does not align with TV completely, so picture is not as good as it
>could be and aspect ratio is completely wrong. If I try to fix aspect ratio
>with nvtv, I lose picture. I tried everything, and am getting close to buying
>new graphics card.
>
>The card I have now is NVidia GeForce 2 MX 400 with Brooktree 869. I am trying
>to use NTSC on 800x600.

Hi Andy,

I have an MSI GeForce2 MX 400 64MB with TV out.  I just got TV out working
this afternoon actually.  I used the latest NVIDIA driver and the
instructions from the readme, and then took my box in to the living room
and booted it.  The plain text at boot was shockingly crisp and after I
fixed a typo in my X config the X window came up in brilliant colour.  The
only problem I had with it was that it doesn't quite fill my screen, I have
about 4% of screen on either side as black bars.  I believe fixing this is
done with what others have referred to here as overscan/underscan but I
haven't figured that out yet.  Othat than the extra space on the sides, my
aspect ratio etc is perfect and the videos play back nicely.

I tried NVTV and found the NVIDIA stock driver looked better on my TV,
although NVTV has tons of nice settings you can play with.

Hopefully someone here can help me adjust things to remove the black
bars.  The only other issue I have is that I haven't figured out how to
make the system go 100% borderless full screen yet - my X "task bard" stays
on top at the bottom of the screen (I'm running RH9 stock Gnome desktop)
and also my window title bar for MPlayer doesn't disappear yet.  But I'm
confident someone here can steer me in the right direction. :)

-Jeff