[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Best video capture resolution for output to TV?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri May 16 17:12:55 EDT 2003

Allen T. Gilliland IV wrote:
> Well ... based on my understanding of sampling there
> is no actual limit to the amount of sampling you can
> do of an analog signal.  So for the purposes of our
> resolution debate I would say that the higher your
> horiz resolution is the better.

At the expense of CPU and disk space.

> Of course there are mathematical formulas which detail
> the suggested number of samples necessary to represent
> an analog signal.  And practically speaking you
> wouldn't want to exceed 720 because your playback
> image would be in a strange ratio.

But 480x480 or 544x480 aren't 4:3 either. MythTV scales
to fullscreen so assuming your TV or monitor is 4:3,
any recording resolution will look correct. For TV in a
window, there is a Setup->Playback checkbox to force
4:3 regardless of the recording resolution.

--  bjm