[mythtv-users] Tivo debuts slimmed-down TV service

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri May 16 18:42:26 EDT 2003

Robert Kulagowski wrote:

>>If all the source is freely available, doesn't that mean you have
>>the code needed to support the programming feed for users with
>>lifetime subsciptions that switch from Tivo? (note: I am not one of
>>them)  Or, do you just mean all the kernel code is freely
>>available?
>

> The kernel modifications can be downloaded.  Applications like
> MyWorld and all the custom code used to drive the MPEG encoder and
> decoder can't.  Since the Tivo guide format is known (see the
> Canadian Tivo lists over at Yahoo) and downloaded using HTTP, I
> suppose that if you're clever enough and have a lifetime Tivo
> subscription you could pull the Tivo guide data, and either convert
> it into XMLTV format or just stuff it directly into the MythTV
> database.

Oh, oh, oh! Hey, Chris! To me, this looks like a fabulous
way for you to hone your programming skill to prepare for
game programming! What a confidence builder it would be to
apply your unique TiVo hacking, program listing, XML and
MySQL skills to write something used by humdereds or
thousands of people 8-).

Let me know if you need any help,

--  bjm