[mythtv-users] monitoring mythbackend and other questions...

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Sun May 18 10:51:01 EDT 2003

Steve Davidson wrote:

>I am curious, however, to know if there is any way to monitor
>the status/current state of the backend server?  I haven't seen any way to check what mythbackend is up to short of looking for actively updating files in the video directory.

There is a small http server running at port 6544 (by default), e.g.
<http://yourserver:6544>, but the output doesn't seem to be very helpful.

The Debian start script creates a log file in
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log. This is the same you will see on the
console, if you start mythbackend directly. The output there is somewhat
helpful.

BTW: Whenever you wonder what's going on and it's not a GUI app, you
should generally look in /var/log/, there is often the information you
need just waiting for you to use it.

>Also, is there any way to manually control the recording process?  I would like to be able to record a 5 minute segment without twiddling about with MySQL; is this do-able?

The CVS version (the latest development verion, not 0.8) has a manual
recording option.

Ben