[mythtv-users] monitoring mythbackend and other questions...

Steve Davidson smdavidson at belugasoftware.com
Sun May 18 02:24:04 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 00:51, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Steve Davidson wrote:
>
> >I am curious, however, to know if there is any way to monitor
> >the status/current state of the backend server?  I haven't seen any way to check what mythbackend is up to short of looking for actively updating files in the video directory.
> >
> There is a small http server running at port 6544 (by default), e.g.
> <http://yourserver:6544>, but the output doesn't seem to be very helpful.

I noticed that, but all I seem to see is "1 encoder is local" from the
output... Guess I'll have to dig in to the source. (Anyone have any more
info on this?)

> The Debian start script creates a log file in
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log. This is the same you will see on the
> console, if you start mythbackend directly. The output there is somewhat
> helpful.

Doesn't seem to contain anything of use; just startup info and some
occasional "strange error flushing buffer" errors.  Does the verbose
output contain more useful info?

> >Also, is there any way to manually control the recording process?  I would like to be able to record a 5 minute segment without twiddling about with MySQL; is this do-able?
> >
> The CVS version (the latest development verion, not 0.8) has a manual
> recording option.

Thanks, I'll check out the CVS version.