[mythtv-users] network booting/diskless mythfrontend box

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Mon May 19 11:21:51 EDT 2003

At 19-5-03 09:52, Henk Poley wrote:
> > Van: Wally <wally at satx.rr.com>
> >
> > I really want to go diskless with my frontend, but I can't find a good
> > microatx motherboard that will pxe boot.
>
>Would you mind installing floppy-drive on the system? Then you could use a
>bootfloppy (~36kb) from http://www.rom-o-matic.org/
>
>Yes, I know, it's not elegant. But it works :-)

I use old discarded IDE drives (the few hundred MB junkpile type).
After booting I load all in RAM and kick the drive into sleepmode. Some of
them are even unable to unsleep without hanging linux, but I don't care.

They are:
- easy to mount inside a case
- totally silent when sleeping
- can be remotely administerd
- big enough to put any dedicated stuff onto so they can still boot without
the network

I hate networkbooting in a private situation, because all machines use
different setups (mostly network and video). In a commercial situation it's
a different story, I just tell the boss I want identical machines :-)

Erik

Erik