[mythtv-users] [OT] Pundit Questions....

Dan Man danman at dtconnect.com
Tue May 20 03:16:10 EDT 2003

Okie Dokie... I bought a Pundit, stuffed it full of guts I had laying
around. 1.7 GHz Celeron, 512 MB Ram, 60 GB HD and a DVD-ROM... Distro of
choice (right now, anyway) RedHat 9. Hold on, hope this doesn't get too
long...

On the first install.... The nic wasn't detected, as I expected, but I
could not get up2date to run after compiling the nic driver. It kept
complaining about the system time. Even after modifying
/etc/sysconfig/clock to manually set my time zone and connecting to a
time server the system time was hosed. I tried setting the time manually
and every way I could think of. No dice. I fired in a spare 3com nic
reinstalled ran up2date took out the 3com and got the onboard lan
working.... All is good so far.

I've got X working with the sis driver thanks to Chris's XF86Config
file... I only changed the VideoRam setting to 32768.

Now on to the issues... Right now I'm just trying to make the Pundit a
front end. When I start live tv I get vertical green/red/black bars for
~10 seconds then tv starts. When I bring up the epg the preview does the
same thing. At various times when exiting the epg I get the vertical
bars and nothing seems to fix it, but restarting MythTV. When I go to
the Watch a recording menu things are V E R Y   S L O W... It seems to
take 3-4 key presses to get it to do anything. Once a recording is
highlighted, the preview plays, but when I try to watch the recording,
Myth tells me it can't find the .nuv file, or it segfaults. Watching
recordings on my PIII frontend and my P4 frontend/backend works as
expected, so I don't think it's a software issue.

So that's that. Haven't even worked on sound yet... maybe tomorrow...

Overall I like the Pundit. I'd like to get the Myth issues resolved as
that's really all this box is for. ; )

DM