[mythtv-users] Settings for LARGE television screens (i.e. 50+ inches)

Dan Robichaud djrobichaud at rogers.com
Tue May 20 20:13:49 EDT 2003

I was wondering if there are many other users out there with LARGE
television screens, if so I'd like to compare notes.  So far I've only been
happy using the RTJPEG compression at the default 480x480 resolution and
150-170 quality factor and MP3 at 6-7.  This results in rather large files
(3-4 GB /hr) and although I bought hard drives with this in mind (I'm using
2x120 GB drives in RAID0 for size and performance) I was wondering what sort
of settings other users with large television screens were using and how
happy they are with the results.

I experimented some last night with MPEG4, but on my 53" screen, the picture
would always seem to get fuzzy or blocky with artifacts (at least, at any
sort of resolution and quality settings my CPU would allow before getting
pegged at 100%)

I suppose I should also mention a little about my hardware/setup:

MythTV 0.8 on RedHat 8.0
Abit KG7 RAID MoBo
AMD 1500+ XP
512 MB RAM