[mythtv-users] How to simplify DVD playing

CyberPsyko CyberPsyko at PunkAss.com
Wed May 21 19:09:03 EDT 2003

Hi all! I just wanted to share how I set up my MythBox for use with
DVDs.

WARNING:
This will add a button to the main menu called DVD. If you have all five
of the other plugins already installed (i.e. Myth- Weather, Game, Video,
Music and Gallery), it won't look pretty! (I am not using MythGame)
*****REQUIRED FOR DVD NAVIGATION*****
xine (instead of MPlayer for DVDs because of better libdvdnav support)
libdvdcss (version >=1.0.0).
libdvdread (versions 0.9.3 and above).
libdvdnav (version >=0.1.2).

1) Get yourself a cool PNG icon that looks like a DVD (try to keep it
75x75). Put it in your /usr/local/share/myth/themes/(your-theme)/
directory.

2) In your /usr/local/share/myth/mainmenu.xml, add the following lines
<button>
    <type>DVD</type>
    <text>DVD</text>
    <!-- Add more langs if need be here -->
    <action>EXEC xine -s DVD -f -g -p</action> <!-- If you want DVD
navigation -->
    <action>EXEC mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -fs -cache 1024
-alang en </action> <!-- Or the MPlayer option -->
    <depends>mythvideo-settings.txt</depends>
</button>

3) In your themes.xml
(/usr/local/share/myth/themes/(your-theme)/themes.xml) add these lines:

<buttondef name="DVD">
    <image>DVD.png</image>
    <offset>52,20</offset>
</buttondef>

And *POOF*!! Yer done! Start up Myth and have fun!