[mythtv-users] How to simplify DVD playing

Rob Rogers rob at wizardstower.net
Thu May 22 15:51:07 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 11:02:07AM -0700, Chris Germano wrote:
> >How is this different from the DVD guide that was just posted, or are you
> >just asking for Myth to set up this button for you?
>
> I would prefer to have it built in, or a module, I mean we are building
> pretty much little media centers here, a dvd player or way of accessing one
> easily should be included or easily available. I'm kinda a newbie to linux,
> so anything that is prepackaged or available to add already makes my life a
> lot easier, but I can deal with just figuring it out myself if need be.

The message that started this thread told you exactly how to do this.
All there is to it is finding a png you want for the button graphic,
adding 6 lines to 1 file, and adding 4 lines to another file....That's
it. I don't see why this couldn't be (and I'd guess it likely may be)
added to future versions of Myth, but there's not really that much work
to set it up your self.

[snip]
> >Are you aware of the existence of other modules? Specifically the
> >MythVideo module? I think it does exactly what you're looking for here,
> >except it doesn't have any means to select the source. It just looks at a
> >(configurable) spot on the HD. I would think that you could have some sort
> >of automounter, and put a softlink in that directory linked to /mnt/dvd.
>
> Wow, totally missed that one lol, perfect I will give it a shot later. It
> says in the docs to set the start directory to a valid mount point on your
> drive, so can't that just be a dvdrom? How would I go about fakeing it out
> like you suggested?

well, you could point it to /mnt/dvd (or wherever your dvd gets mounted)
but your dvd would have to be mounted for it to work. On my system I
point it to /misc/video (/misc being my 120 GB drive where all my mp3
and video files go) and it gives me a list of video files and directories.
What I would then do if I wanted to access a DVD of files is `ln -s
/mnt/dvd /misc/video/dvd` to create the link, and then set up autofs (a
program that automatically mounts filesystems when they are accessed,
and unmounts them when they've been idle for a set amount of time) to
mount my dvd drive.

> Now all my heart desires for mythtv is built in recording profiles for
> shows, and the support of a transcoder for converting shows, both of which
> will probably come in the future.

I believe the first is already being worked on, and the second is at
least available externally.