[mythtv-users] mythbackend

Hellboy hellboy at hellahivemind.com
Thu May 22 19:01:52 EDT 2003

I do understand that live tv is not live. This was explained in the docs
regarding audio issues while listening to a "live stream" vs. the playback
after it is decoded. I was not aware of what processes were responsible for
what though. Thanks for the information. Tonight, I will try free to get a
more accurate representation of RAM usage.

This was what I was refering to in the documentation regarding CPU usage:
"A PIII/800Mhz system with 512MB RAM can encode one video stream using the
RTJPEG codec with 480x480 capture resolution and play it back
simultaneously, thereby allowing live TV watching." This is what I was
basing my assumption off of.

As for a more accurate description of the "crash", here it is. Actually, one
of two things takes place:
1. The systems locks up completely, and will not respond to anything. I
cannot ping it, the escape sequence (I have Alt-Esc to shut down MythTV)
doesn't work. Nothing. I have to do a hard reset to bring it back.
2. The system reboots itself during playback. I usually get about 5 minutes
before shutdown (long enough to get my hopes up that it will actually work).
I am running mythbackend with the -l arguement hoping to catch a glimpse of
what's going on, but when I reboot, the file is missing. This perhaps is
something that I'm doing wrong?

Another reply mentioned running other resource intensive apps such as games
on Linux and having that eat a lot of resources. This is actually the
1942 on this machine before (not all at once), all with 16 players and it
held up well. While I realize that this is apples to oranges, I felt the
good performance under high CPU workloads made this machine a good candidate
for MythTV.

In the docs, it stated that more often than not, audio can be the problem.
"Audio appears to be one of the bigger issues that users run into on the
mailing list. If the audio isn't configured correctly, then MythTV will
often appear to hang, when in fact it is trying to manipulate the audio
subsystem and failing. You may or may not receive error messages indicating
that the source of the error is the audio subsystem."  I am using the alsa
via82xx drivers (I believe it is RC8). The troubleshooting steps all work
out fine for me. hdparm -d on hda and hdc all show as on.

I will try to switch up some of the hardware tonight to see if it maybe is a
driver issue. I am using a PC PVR card from IOMEGA. It has a Pinnacle tuner
and a bt878 chipset, so i thought it would be fine. I'll try the Hauppauge
WinTV Go instead. Hope this was the info you needed me to provide. Thanks to
all for the help.

Wes