[mythtv-users] How to simplify DVD playing

Scott Elliott selliott at insight.rr.com
Fri May 23 22:00:44 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 20:27, Ian Westcott wrote:

> Really! How does this work? Just it just decode the channels and mix it
> into 2-channel audio and send it out through spdif? Because I truly need
> Dolby Digital 5.1 out pass-through, not decoded... Since it's not an alsa
> driver, I have no idea how apps like xine or ogle or mplayer would know
> not to decode it.

It appears that the Nvidia OSS driver doesn't decode anything for the
SPDIF.  It expects 48kHz data.  If it's not (like the 32kHz recordings I
have from Myth) it sounds like the Chipmunks.  Ogle passes the Dolby
Digital through; I've played a few DVDs this way since the new Nvidia
drivers came out, and my receiver displays that it's receiving the
appropriate kind of data.  And I played a test DVD, and it played
through the speaker it said it should be.

Scott