[mythtv-users] Sound issues

Matthew Bettencourt matt at ssc.usm.edu
Fri May 23 22:15:44 EDT 2003

I just started trying to mythTV to work and I have it somewhat installed on a
standard RH8 system.  I used the RPMS and got it install and the tv listings all
done and there is one major issue I am fighting.  I can't seem to get audio
recording/output to work.  I have an older BTTV card which works with xawtv. It
is hooked up to my sound card through my CD port.  When I watch live TV I get no
sound as is true when I watch something I recorded which is expected.  Now, the
troubleshooing stuff says that you should be able to test it with aplay.  I get

{server 7} xawtv &
[1] 5077
{server 9} aplay /dev/dsp
aplay: main:480: audio open error: No such file or directory
and the same is true for any other device I can think of.  I am at a loss where
to go or even look from here.  Any help would be great.

Thanks
Matt

00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
00:0e.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture
(rev 02)
00:0e.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 02)