[mythtv-users] Master and Slave with capture cards

Ken VanDine ken at bizrace.com
Sat May 24 18:00:42 EDT 2003

OK, before I get flamed I just RTFM.  I just noticed for the first time the
last section named "Advanced Backend Configurations".  This is close to what
I want.  But, I would like the option to be able to "reserve" the local
capture device for the frontend.  So the local card is always available for
the local frontend when someone wants to watch live-tv on that frontend.  I
plan to have three frontends in total.  I want the master backend to have
two WinTV cards doing software encoding for recordings and three slave
backends/frontends with hardware MPEG cards for watching live-tv.  Does
anyone else think this is a desirable setup?  Would it be possible with the
current CVS release, or does this require and major change?

Thanks,
--Ken

Quoting Ken VanDine <ken at bizrace.com>:

> Is this possible:
>
> -Master backend with WinTV, MySQL and lots of storage.
> -Slave backend/frontend with a PVR-250 capture card.
>
> I want the master backend to handle scheduled recordings and storage and
the

> slave backend/frontend use it's pvr-250 for watching live-tv and watch
> recordings off the master.
>
> I tried this, but it captures off the master for live tv.  Is this the way
> it is designed to work?  Am I expecting to much?  Anyone have any tips to
> help me accomplish what I am trying to do?
>
> TIA,
> --Ken

Ken VanDine
biZrace Inc.