[mythtv-users] Quick HOWTO: Upgrading from 0.8 to latest CVS release

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon May 26 15:31:54 EDT 2003

I couldn't find one, so I figured I'd write one up... I'm using RedHat
9...

1. First, we stop the existing mythtv.
	# pkill mythfrontend
	# service mythbackend stop
	# service mysqld stop

2. Back up your existing configurations, just to be careful.
	# tar cf /tmp/mythconfig.tar /usr/share/mythtv /usr/local/share/mythtv

3. Let's go somewhere safe...
	# cd /usr/local/src/
	# mkdir -p myth/cvs
	# cd myth/cvs

4. We get mythtv (blatantly stolen from the web page)
	# cvs -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs login
        Logging in to :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs
        CVS password: mythtv
        # cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythtv

5. Get the other modules too, while we're at it...
	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythweb
	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythmusic
	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythvideo
	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythgallery
	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythgame
	# cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/mythcvs checkout mythweather

6. Build mythtv via the usual method... mythtv first, then the other
modules.  Note that I'm using the atrpms, which put the binaries into
/usr/bin.  When building from source it places them into
/usr/local/bin.  Make sure that your $PATH variable is set to look at
/usr/local/bin before /usr/bin OR create symlinks from the files in
/usr/bin to /usr/local/bin...

7. Start the database
	# service mysqld start

8. Just in case, I editted and copied
mythtv/configfiles/etc.sysconfig.mythbackend to
/etc/sysconfig/mythbackend

9. Update the database.
	# cd /usr/local/src/myth/cvs/mythtv/database
	# mysql < 0-8-to-0-9.sql

10. Start the backend
	# service mythbackend start

11. Run the setup just to confirm that your settings are correct.
	# cd /usr/local/src/myth/cvs/mythtv/setup
	# ./setup

12. Start mythfrontend and play!

Have fun!

	-Ian