[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter help with RC, receiving some errors

Matt matt at solecize.com
Tue May 27 04:45:43 EDT 2003

Chris Germano wrote:

> Thx for the reply, I just tried it, without any luck. I actually just
> plugged my home brewed receiver and transmitter (on same serial) into
> my windows box, installed winlirc and in 10 seconds it was learning
> remote commands and firing them out perfectly. Don't know why linux
> has to be so complicated.
>
> Anyhow I still receive the "hardware does not support this setting"
> whenever I try a rc command. I think I might know where my problem
> lies, its either in my /etc/sysconfig/lircd file which has all the com
> settings, and the lack of me actually having a lirc_serial.o file in
> my /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/misc/ folder.

Does not support this setting or does not support sending?

Well Mandrake obviously does something non-standard with their version
of lirc. I would suggest removing all of the mandrake lirc components to
make sure that you are using the version that you compiled.  I think
that the problem you are having has to do with the module, and not so
much that "/etc/sysconfig/lircd" file (which is not even present on my
distro)

> If I copy it from the lirc/drivers/lirc_serial folder and restart
> lirc, nothing will work. So something is ammis here.

I would guess that whichever lirc daemon is getting started (the one you
compiled or the mandrake one?) doesn't match up with whichever lirc
serial module is loaded (assuming that the mandrake version of lirc uses
a module)

> Can someone please post their entire /etc/sysconfig/lircd file here.
> If possible can you also attach that lirc_serial.o file, it should be
> found in /lib/modules/yourkernel#/misc/ thx

Any lirc_serial.o file that you get from someone else would either be
the same as yours or most likely wouldn't work with your kernel.

> Basically to setup lirc, this is what I did:
> Used urpmi lirc to set it up in mandrake,

I would ditch that mandrake service version of lirc, and just start
lircd from rc.local

> Compiled it from /lirc-0.6.6 make make install w/ Com1 IRQ 4 &
> Transmitter setting from ./setup.sh,
> Edited my /etc/sysconfig/lircd with just the following
> "DRIVER=default, HWMOD=lirc_serial, DEVICE=/dev/lirc/serial,
> COM_PORT=/dev/ttyS0,

Again, I would suggest ignoring this in favor of the standard version of
lirc

> and ran setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

I believe this needs to be done before the lirc_serial module is loaded.
 Make sure to remove whatever lirc serial module is already loaded with
rmmod.  Edit your /etc/modules.conf and make sure that it has "alias
char-major-61  lirc_serial" then run modprobe lirc_serial

> After that, i started lirc with /etc/init.d/lircd start, and it worked
> fine for receiving (except now mode2 keeps saying my hardware is not
> suitable or something).

Here I would just start lirc by running "lircd"

 rc.local example are in the myth docs.

> Strangely I receive this: (ls -l /dev/li*)
> total 0
> crw------- 1 root root 61,    0 jan 1 1970 serial

My distro doesn't have directory named /dev/lirc and although that date
does seem a bit strange I wouldn't worry about it.  If you abandon the
mandrake version of lirc you shouldn't be using  that /dev/lirc
directory anymore.  Instead you'll have a device file /dev/lirc and a
couple of others,  as a matter of fact this could be part of the
problem, the lirc install that you compiled may not be able to create
the /dev/lirc device with a directory of the same name there.  I would
make sure to rename that directory so that it won't get in the way of
the new lirc device creation.