[mythtv-users] Re: So close I can taste it..

Kevin J. Slater kslater at pobox.com
Tue May 27 09:42:52 EDT 2003

> Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 00:32:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: tekchip <tekchip at yahoo.com>
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at snowman.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users]  So close I can taste it. Final issue  before I
> 	get to leave you alone?
>

> > 9. Is there any chance that you are running out of RAM? This is a
> > long shot
> > with any typical configuration ... 256 MB is usually plenty ... but
>
> Well with the thought in mind of eventually trying to get this thing

I use a 256 MB RAM config on my EPIA M9000 without any tuning of Gnome (RH 7.3,
I know switch to a slimmer WM, it's on my list.), so that's not the issue.

> > 10. Do you have enough room on your hard drive for a capture
> > buffer? How
> > big a capture buffer do you have specified? (I wouldn't normally
> > worry
> > about this, but an 8 GB drive is unusually small for a Myth setup.)
>
> Not capturing any thing but the buffer is set to 5gb currently which
> seems to be either the default or scripted to pic the max available
> space on the drive in whole gb.

The default is indeed 5 gb for the capture buffer default. And I think this may
be the crux of the problem. How is your disk cut up? Did you let RH decide on
the partitions? During setup where did you point MythTV to for the captured
video? Does that partition show enough free space with df -h?

Also, when you do "live" tv, you're doing what is termed time shifting. In other
words, you are RECORDING and PLAYING BACK simultaneously. So indeed, you are
recording.

> Might I suggest the list admin change the link on the list
> sign-up/admin page to point to the searchable archive? There by
> eliminating possible confusion and providing a unified interface for
> all things list related?

There is utility to both list archives. Pointers to both are appropriate (IMHO).

Brock,

if the problem isn't the disk space issue, then it's probably the sound card.
The ATI TV Wonder VE is what I use in my EPIA M9000 system and it's just fine
for MythTV. You aren't going to get much out of 800 system. I can barely do live
tv using RTJPEG at 320 x 240 resolution with my system. A better test would be
to do a recording and then see if you can play it back. My guess is that without
a PVR-250 for MPEG2 hardware encoding AND a driver from via that is supported by
4vl or 4vl2 so that you have MPEG2 hardware decoding as well, you're not going
to have a very happy experience with that machine. Especially not trying to use
it for both the front end and the back end.

IMHO, YMMV, Check with your Doctor to see if MythTV is right for you, etc.

...Kevin