[mythtv-users] frustrations in setup

Pete Hartman mythtv at elmegil.net
Tue May 27 08:51:13 EDT 2003

Currently battling two problems:

1) when I'm using the TV-out, I have no fonts.  Anywhere a font would be is
blank.  Most obvious place is a terminal window, which is completely blank,
but will accept input and position the cursor as if something is going
on.  Menus are also blank (except for the occasional icon), and also the
desktop icons and bottom-bar icons are either invisible or come and go (the
Red Hat icon in particular).  I had something similar to this on the VGA
output when I first installed the nvidia driver (I'm using a generic
GeForce 4 440 MX card), but reading through the instructions more closely I
found that I was loading some modules I shouldn't have.  I'm not loading
them any longer though.  I actually went back and removed anything which
wasn't explicitly mentioned in the NVidia README with no change.  Anyone
seen this behavior?  Any ideas?  This is RH9 with an AMD 2500+ (Barton) MX,
512 Mb RAM.

2) I have no sound output.  I would swear when I first installed everything
in my "office" I had sound from xmame and system sounds.  Now that it's
down at the stereo, I have nothing.  I double checked with headphones and
nothing appears to be coming out.  I'm using the onboard sound on an ECS
L7S7A2 board, which is a SiS 7012 (i810 clone).  I've checked and it does
appear that the i810 driver is recognizing the card.  I've looked at aumix
output, but the ascii output is pretty incomprehensable to me, and the
xaumix output is small enough to be illegible on my TV-out.  Plus I have to
telnet into the box to see the ascii because of #1 (thank goodness for the
wireless card in my laptop) :-).  But it appears when I do aumix -q that
all the output channels are at reasonable levels.

I've been googling and searching the archives and coming up with things
that are tantalizing but no solutions.

Maybe we should set up a mythtv-newb list for these kinds of
questions.  Apologies to anyone who knows the magic search to find this
information in the archives right away; I have had no luck with the
searches I've tried.  Thanks to anyone who can shed light on where I should
look, what documentation is relevant that I haven't thought of, etc.