[mythtv-users] EXT3 problems?

Zachary S. Bedell zaclist at adirondack.net
Tue May 27 19:03:50 EDT 2003

> It may be time to create a new FS for Media.  There is a
> reason that TiVo didn't use any of the standard FS's.

I'm inclined to agree with that.  One of the benefits of TiVo's MFS
filesystem is that it allocates space in 512MB clusters.  With TiVo's usual
range of recording qualities, that amounts to about 30 minutes per
allocation.  It really cuts down on the amout of drive space and time wasted
in allocating things in (relatively) small cluster sizes that most normal
filesystems use.

I wonder if ext[23] or reiser, jfs, or any of the other options supported by
current kernels can be formatted with huge cluster sizes?  Or failing that,
could they be easily and reliably hacked to do so?

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if the kernel could handle clusters that
large.  For TiVo's MFS, they implemented everything in userspace without any
help from the kernel, so who knows...

Best regards,
Zac Bedell