[mythtv-users] mythtv as a consumer embedded application

PDP-XI hades at elsewhere.org
Wed May 28 23:49:15 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Laurie Harper wrote:

> I'd end up with an AV component that took two minutes to switch on and
> sent all sorts of Linux boot-up stuff to the screen. What I want is a
> box where I hit 'On' and get a nice logo on the screen for 30 - 40
> seconds and is then ready to go!

I'm using the Linux Progress Patch (http://lpp-themes.sourceforge.net/) on
the kernel in my Myth box to display a startup screen with a nice Myth
logo and a progress bar. Using a Slackware 9 installation and editing the
rc scripts to ignore a bunch of stuff I don't need, I've gotten it to boot
from power off to running Myth in around 50 seconds, assuming there's no
fsck required. I figure I can shave a few seconds off that by really
understanding the kernel config options I use, and picking only the ones I
need.

You might also look into whatever SuSe's doing with their startup. I don't
use it myself, but I had to work on a machine which was running it the
other day, and its startup was nice and graphic, with minimally
distracting text.

--Josh