[mythtv-users] ALSA Driver

rwk at americom.com rwk at americom.com
Thu May 29 08:23:47 EDT 2003

Strangely, with enough futzing around, it started working.  I don't know
what I did.  The last thing I did was reload the msp3400 module on the
backend, but I am running the frontend on a different machine, so I
can't imagine that affecting it.

In any case, it does seem to have cured the jitters!

I get a very slight amount now (usually only when I start mythtv or
change channels) but once it gets going, it is much much smoother.
There is still a very short pause in the sound every once in a while,
but I have not yet sat through a full show to really evaluate it.

With OSS, there were time, that I could not even watch it was so bad,
like continuously stuttering....

So if you have sound problems, it is definitely worth the effort to
update to alsa.

I would be interested to know if the slight jitters I hear, like when
changing channels, is normal.

> Maybe turn on debug messages on the ALSA driver.
>
> ./configure --with-debug=all --with-oss=yes --with-cards=via82xx
>
> Are the options that I used.  I am using v.92, and I am getting jitter sound
> with ALSA and my VIA sound card.  I will interested in haring how your sound
> is when you get it working.

I am using v.93c.  My frontend machine is an Athlon 2200+ but I am
planing to put it on a VIA M10000 when I can get one.  The VIA mini-itx
boards have hardware decoders, so I am hopeful it will be fine.  I can't
imagine it is cpu power though.

Are you running front and back on the same machine?  Does your CPU do
mpeg encoding, or are you using a hardware encoder?  Does it jitter with
prerecorded programs?  What is your cpu?

Regards,
Dick