[mythtv-users] Fine Tuning Question

Jeff Waters jeffwaters at wowway.com
Thu May 29 17:40:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 16:15, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 03:46 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, Jeff Waters wrote:
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I know I'm prob not the first to ask but I've not seen this question
> >lately.
>
> When you do see it (if you look in the archive), you will see that the
> usual response is that you probably have misspecified your tuner type (in
> bttv) or your frequency range (in the setup for Myth, or xawtv if you're
> using it to test hardware). Unless you tell us those settings, and what
> country you are in (to see if the frequency-set choice makes sense), there
> is little we can offer in the way of advice.
>
> BTW, how many different cable providers have you been trying Myth with?
> Since you say the problem occurs "no matter what cable provider I have."
>
> >When I run ./setup and then mythfilldatabase I have to use --manual and
> >fine tune every channel +111.
> >
> >If I don't then every channel is off by 1 and fuzzy.
> >
> >I'm using the ATI TV Wonder (not VE or Usb) and have had to do this no
> >matter what cable provider I have.
> >
> >I'm assuming it's some sort of software adjustment I need to make on my
> >box to avoid this, but I'm lost as to where.

Hmmm I'm going to sound really dumb here,.. but where do you specify
your tuner type? (I've no clue what the tv wonder uses) And... where do
I use bttv?
To be honest I bought the card, slapped it in and Mandrake said hey
there is a new card and I started up xawtv and it scanned for channels
and I was up and working... of course all the channels were off by 1 and
fuzzy so I messed around with it till I figured out it was +111 off in
the fine tuning. So I've been adjusting it like that since I bought it a
year ago. I've used (here in Ohio) Time Warner and now Wide Open West
cable.
I have never messed with Bttv... although from your response it seems I
should have.
I guess I need to read the man page on bttv then.

Thanks,
Jeff