[mythtv-users] Fine Tuning Question

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu May 29 15:03:02 EDT 2003

At 04:40 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, Jeff Waters wrote:
[...]
>Hmmm I'm going to sound really dumb here,.. but where do you specify
>your tuner type? (I've no clue what the tv wonder uses) And... where do
>I use bttv?

bttv is a kernel module that provides the interface to many v4l
(video4linux) vidcap cards ... the ones that use the bt848 or bt878 chips.
If you run "lsmod", it should show that bttv is running. You'll also see an
i2c module (I forget the excact identifier) and a tuner module (which
handles channel changing).

I don't use Mandrake myself, so I'm not certain where you specify module
options. The usual place is /etc/modules.conf . bttv autoprobes cards and
tries to figure out the card type and the tuner type on its own. In your
case, it *may* be guessing the wrong tuner type (possibly guessing type 2
when you have type 17, but here I'm really going out on a limb, based not
on personal knowledge but imperfect memory of other messages I've seen here).

Anyway, to see what you have, check the dmesg buffer right after you
boot/init the system (use the command "dmesg" to do this), or see if
Mandrake, like may distros, copies the initial contents of this buffer to a
file in /var/log . Either way, look for lines with "bttv" in the to see
what you are getting.

There is no man page for bttv, since it is a kernel module. Look in the
kernel documentation (that comes with kernel source) for a bttv
subdirectory, to see the docs for this module.

Before xawtv started scanning for channels, you had to tell it what
frequency set to use. Some USA cable operators use us-cable, others
us-cable-hrc, and there's no way to know unless they tell you (or you try
both and then use the one that works better). The two frequency sets are
somewhat similar, so if you guessed wrong, you might be seeing what you
describe.

So ... to sum it up ... your problem still may be wrong tuner type or wrong
frequency set. You haven't told us enough to tell. But with this additional
information, you may be able to track down the needed details.