[mythtv-users] Help! Changed /etc/modules.conf and now system won't boot

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Thu May 29 18:23:08 EDT 2003

You should be able to get it up in single user mode, even with a hosed
modules.conf.  To do that you need to specify the parameter "single" to
the kernel.  I am not sure how you can do that from Grub as I am a Lilo
user.  IIRC, Mandrake uses syslinux for the boot floppy, you can almost
certainly specify the option there.  You would most likely just have to
type "linux single" but you may need some other parameters, like "linux
single root=/dev/hda1 console=ttyS0,38400n8" would boot in single user,
with hda1 as the root and COM1 as the console.

Your other option would be loading another Linux distro and then
mounting your root filesystem to edit your modules.conf.  There are
several "rescue" distributions that fit on floppy disks, Tomsrbt comes
to mind but I know there are several others.  You could also load a full
distro like Knoppix from a CD or use whatever recovery tools the
Mandrake installer has (Redhat can boot in "rescue" mode from the
install disks, Mandrake may have the same functionality).  Whatever the
case, you need a method to mount your root partition from a live system
to make the changes you need.