[mythtv-users] Update: Pundit/MythFE Distro

Matt Marsh matt at mattmarsh.net
Sat May 31 19:48:57 EDT 2003

Hi,

Sounds like you're doing a great job with this! I'm just about to
order a Pundit and other bits so it's very interesting to me...
Some comments below...

> 1) Bootup: The distribution boots from a cramfs partition on flash, and
> the boot process is pretty slow - ~45 seconds on my I-Opener (Rise
> PR266 at 133 mhz, 32 megs ram).  The I-Opener is notoriously slow; I expect
> to see sub-30 second boot times on the Pundit.  I want to get APM
> suspend/resume fully working to avoid the bootup delay.  I am also
> hoping that I can set an APM wakeup event from my serial IR remote via
> the BIOS - making the whole thing more tivo-like.  Can't test either
> until I get my hardware!

I've been wondering about the whole wake-up from remote myself too. Do
you think it will be possible from using an IR remote in the serial support
as you suggest? I noticed from the Pundit manual that it does have an
option to wake when and external modem signals one of the serial lines,
so if you could get the IR remote to do that I suppose it would be possible?

Right now, I had been thinking I'd have to go without the wake up and
was considering getting the ATI Remote Wonder. I'd have to turn the
machine on manually but then at least the remote could turn it off. It
also would have the advantage of being RF instead of IR so I could hide
the dongle away behind everything.

The only other way I could think of getting remote wakeup to work was
to use some X10 kit, but that would require at least 3 pieces of kit:
1. an X10 remote to send an X10 reciever (these can also plug into the
   machine so that once it boots it will pick up and give events to
   the machine).
2. An X10 reciever which would pick up the event from the remote and
   send out another X10 event to an X10 computer controller.
3. An X10 computer controller which would signal the serial line to
   make the machine wakeup.
That's all getting a bit expensive and clumsy though...

> 2) Integrate the Linux Progress Patch for a nice, clean display during
> bootup.  (If anyone has already created a Myth/LPP boot screen, I would
> REALLY appreciate it if you would send it to me - I have very little
> artistic talent <g>)

I too was looking at that project the other day... it looks like it might
have been stalled for a while though and might not work with the latest
kernels? Anyone got any experience of this?

> 3) Develop a packaging system (ala the LRP / Leaf system) for supporting
> extra modules.  Haven't really thought this one fully out, but it would
> be really nice to be able to extend the distribution without having to
> resort to re-building or manually transferring files.  I could see
> Skins, myth packages, drivers, and other optional components fitting in
> nicely here.

Sounds like a great idea!

> Tips? Suggestions? Input?  Let me know what you think!

Sounds very interesting to me... I'd definately be interested in giving
something like this a try when I get my kit!

Matt

--
Matt N. Marsh
Email: matt at mattmarsh.net