[mythtv-users] Update: Pundit/MythFE Distro

Frank Louwers frank at openminds.be
Sat May 31 20:57:29 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 06:48:57PM +0100, Matt Marsh wrote:

> I've been wondering about the whole wake-up from remote myself too. Do
> you think it will be possible from using an IR remote in the serial support
> as you suggest? I noticed from the Pundit manual that it does have an
> option to wake when and external modem signals one of the serial lines,
> so if you could get the IR remote to do that I suppose it would be possible?

Yes! If the pundit is able to wake up when on modem signal, it's
possible to wake it up with a serial IR as well. (Worst case, you have
to buy a tiny DB9 connector and solder 2 lines together with your IR
remote)

> The only other way I could think of getting remote wakeup to work was
> to use some X10 kit, but that would require at least 3 pieces of kit:
> 1. an X10 remote to send an X10 reciever (these can also plug into the
>    machine so that once it boots it will pick up and give events to
>    the machine).
> 2. An X10 reciever which would pick up the event from the remote and
>    send out another X10 event to an X10 computer controller.
> 3. An X10 computer controller which would signal the serial line to
>    make the machine wakeup.
> That's all getting a bit expensive and clumsy though...

You can't realy use that in combination with suspend to ram. AFAIK, the
X10 cuts power, meaning the RAM would lose power and thus lose its
contents...

Frank