[mythtv-users] Update: Pundit/MythFE Distro

Steve Davidson buzzdat1 at attbi.com
Sat May 31 12:43:45 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 10:50, Frank Louwers wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 10:24:20AM -0700, Steve Davidson wrote:
> > All,
>
> > distribution on a 32 Meg CF card (but I may have to expand that to 64 if
> > it won't fit).
>
> according to my research, there's no CF reader in the pundit. So beware
> you'd need a PCMCIA 2 CF converter, and need to check if the bios can
> boot of a PCMCIA device.

I've used CF-> IDE adapters for my other projects (mostly LRP router
boxen) with a great deal of success.  CF cards have an embedded IDE
controller, so it's a simple adapter; they can be found for around $20.

> > 1) Bootup: The distribution boots from a cramfs partition on flash, and
> > the boot process is pretty slow - ~45 seconds on my I-Opener (Rise
> > PR266 at 133 mhz, 32 megs ram).  The I-Opener is notoriously slow; I expect
> > to see sub-30 second boot times on the Pundit.  I want to get APM
> > suspend/resume fully working to avoid the bootup delay.  I am also
> > hoping that I can set an APM wakeup event from my serial IR remote via
> > the BIOS - making the whole thing more tivo-like.  Can't test either
> > until I get my hardware!
>
> Suspend/Resume from ram will take about 5 to 10 seconds I guess...

Depends on the system.  My Zaurus resumes in under one second, my
I-Opener takes about three seconds.  Hopefully someone has already
solved the APM problems with the Pundit's chipset - will have to do some
research.

> > 2) Integrate the Linux Progress Patch for a nice, clean display during
> > bootup.  (If anyone has already created a Myth/LPP boot screen, I would
> > REALLY appreciate it if you would send it to me - I have very little
> > artistic talent <g>)
>
> If you use the BIOS suspend/Resume, you won't be able to change that
> screen, but indeed, a nice mythtv bootupscreen would be nice...
>
> > 3) Develop a packaging system (ala the LRP / Leaf system) for supporting
> > extra modules.  Haven't really thought this one fully out, but it would
> > be really nice to be able to extend the distribution without having to
> > resort to re-building or manually transferring files.  I could see
> > Skins, myth packages, drivers, and other optional components fitting in
> > nicely here.
>
> debian? :)

The .deb format may work very well; whatever the format is, it will need
to play well with my distribution (cramfs can be a picky beast)