[mythtv-users] ivtv: Error detecting PCI card

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Sat Nov 1 04:54:48 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 22:42, Augustin Chan wrote:
> Here's some more information.  I moved my card so that it wasn't sharing an
> IRQ anymore, and I did a cat /proc/interrupts and came up with this:
>
>            CPU0
>   0:      36110          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        465          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:      11917          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, EMU10K1
>  11:      18231          XT-PIC  nvidia
>  12:      11611          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  14:      18202          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:       4464          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> Here's the new output from dmesg:
>
> Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> i2c-core.o: i2c core module version 2.8.0 (20030714)
> ivtv: Loading, I'll try to detect 1 devices!
> ivtv:  .. running on kernel 2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at
> ivtv: Setting some variables to invalid for detection
> ivtv: SGarray_size = 200, DSGarray_size = 16
> ivtv: Scanning PCI bus..
> ivtv: Found card #0
> ivtv: Found an iTVC15 based chip
> ivtv: base addr: 0xe8000000
> ivtv: Enabling pci device
> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0e.0
> ivtv: Bus Mastering is not enabled
> ivtv: Error detecting PCI card
> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:10.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:04.2
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:04.3
>

> Does it matter that 'Bus Mastering is not enabled'.  How can I rectifiy
> this issue?  I hope I don't have to get a new motherboard...

It does indeed matter for the Hauppauge cards, this is why they are often said
to only work in "center" PCI slots. I believe all cards that use the ivtv
driver require bus mastering slots. Most modern motherboards have 2 or 3
slots capable of bus mastering, I think. That's usually about half the slots.

Perhaps you can move other cards around that don't need bus mastering so that
the ivtv card has a bus mastering slot.

I have an old IWill kk266 board in my Myth backend box, and it's working fine
with two PVR-250 freestyle cards plus a Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card that all
want bus mastering. They are all sharing IRQ11 and no complaints.

Keep trying and good luck!