[mythtv-users] How do you compile with support for TV Out on PVR 350?

Ward Vandewege ward at pong.be
Sat Nov 1 06:41:37 EST 2003

James Pifer wrote:
> I've read you need to compile MythTV for support for the PVR 350's TV
> Out. What do you need to change in the src to enable support for TV Out
> on a PVR 350? Is there a document somewhere that explains this?

Err - if there is I haven't found it. I didn't recompile my Myth to use
the PVR 350's TV output, but I'm currently stuck with far less than
desirable results.

You need the ivtv-fb kernel module (and framebuffer support in your
kernel, as well as support for '32bpp packed pixels' under 'advanced low
level drivers' under 'support for framebuffer devices'. The module seems
a bit buggy. It's impossible to unload, for one (has a use count of 63
as soon as it is loaded). Also, there are issues with screen size -
somehow my tv's screen size is slightly smaller than what X thinks it is
(the video mode of the ivtv-fb is fixed, apparently, once you choose
PAL/NTSC). At least I can't convince X to use a different mode.

This makes it very difficult to configure Myth - the menus are partly
off-screen. I've tried setting manual sizes for Myth which works,
provided I also introduce an X and Y offset.

Also, once I have gone to 'Watch TV', the bottom 20% of the screen
becomes a duplicate of the top 20%, making Myth even less useable...

Anyone have more success with the PVR-350 TV-out?

Thanks,
Ward.