[mythtv-users] Which Nvidia card for TV-OUT?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 3 23:26:17 EST 2003

A: Because English is read from left to right, top to bottom.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

(top-posting rearranged)

On Nov 3, 2003, at 13:22, Edward Rudd wrote:

> If you are outputing to that big and nice of a screen, spend some extra
> bucks and get the DVI output and a DVI adapter to plug into your plasma
> screen.. there are DVI to RGB component cables (which your screen
> should
> have inputs for)
>
> Other than that. it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. they are all
> are
> pretty much the same reliability as they are all the same components
> from Nvidia.

No, they are NOT all the same components from nVidia. They all have
very similar graphics chips, but different manufacturers will use
different speeds (and quality) of memory, different TV encoder chips,
different TV-Out connectors, different PCB layouts, transistors,
capacitors, etc. ONLY the graphics chip and a reference design come
from nVidia, pretty much everything else varies.

I have first-hand experience with MSI, PNY (who actually uses MSI as
their OEM), Chaintech, a few others and Jaton. Most of the cards worked
just fine, but the Jaton was an absolute pile of crap. Exact same
machine, exact same drivers and everything, and the picture from the
Jaton was flat out TERRIBLE (nasty moire patterns, mostly). Long story
short, don't get the Jaton. Of the three you (Jim) mentioned, I'd get
the PNY.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...