[mythtv-users] Upgrading to .12 RPMS

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Nov 4 02:18:28 EST 2003

Cedar McKay wrote:

>> 2) Can I really just keep my 160GB HD that is my /tv FS with all the
>> recordings and somehow "re-insert" them in to the DB with that perl
>> script from the contrib directory?  Is all the show info encapsulated
>> in the filenames?
>>
> Show info is not encapsulated. You have two options if you want to keep
> your shows. What I would do is make a backup of your database like this:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.5
> Then after you have reinstalled restore your database. Or if you suspect
> that your database is screwed you can use the  myth.rebuilddatabase.pl
> from the source mythtv/contrib directory to reinsert your files.
> However, this will lose show info and name info.

Cedar is, as always, spot on. You do want to make sure to have
a database backup first. The backup is plain ASCII SQL commands
so even if you do decide to start fresh with you database, you
can still:

  grep "INSERT INTO recorded VALUES" mythtv_backup.sql

to find the insert commands which will put the correct titles
and descriptions into your new database.

--  bjm