[mythtv-users] pcHDTV - 2 questions

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed Nov 5 10:55:44 EST 2003

On 2003.11.05 10:32, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > Granted I'm running debug code, but it takes ~70%
> > ofmy 2.8 GHz P4 (HT, 800FSB) to play a 1080i stream (w/o XvMC).

> Thanks for that benchmark.  I trying to design my system right now,
> and I'd very much like to be able to encode 1 or 2 std sources and
> play a HD at the same time.  I'd probably pick a XvMC card, but yes I
> have agressive requirements.  Seems to be between a 3.2P4 or a dual
> Xeon. Can I ask why  you aren't using XvMC?  Too many limitations or
> just don't have the card to support it?

Up until recently it was pretty broken for me, and the OSD is grey
rather than the nice blue.  But mostly it's because I have bigger fish
to fry -- bugs & basic functionality -- and haven't gotten around to it
yet.

> I guess that gets to my original question.  If I get the VGA-
> Component converters and hook everything thing up for that signal /
> resolution, now I want to display a std NTSC 4x3 picture, I guess it
> will show the black borders.

If Myth could switch output resolutions on the fly based on the source
material, then your NTSC stuff could be sent in 480p and you could use
your set's zoom modes.  I have no idea how feasible this is.

-Doug