[mythtv-users] PVR-350 on slow or old machines

brutt+news at bloomington.in.us brutt+news at bloomington.in.us
Wed Nov 5 12:28:07 EST 2003

Does anyone have a PVR-350 running well at 720x480 (NTSC) resolution
on an old/slow machine?  I'm figure with the hardware encoding and
decoding, it might do OK on my Celeron 433 (256 MB of RAM, Geforce2
video card that supports XVideo extension) machine.  But the specs on
the PVR-350 from

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr350_datasheet.htm

say it requires a Pentium III-600 for full-screen viewing.  I really
don't know if my machine will be fast enough, even with the PVR-350.
I can upgrade my machine to a Pentium III-700 for certain, and
possibly higher (I'm using Asus P3B-f motherbord), but of course that
costs extra $$$.

Currently, I have a PVR-250 running MythTV on my system, but am
thinking of replacing it with a PVR-350.  My current setup is fast
enough to encode at 720x480 using the hardware encoding, but quite a
bit too slow to decode without lagging.  So I have to use one of the
lower resolutions, which is unsatisfactory.

So, let's hear from some PVR-350 users.  Is anyone using it on an
older machine?
--
Benjamin