[mythtv-users] interaction of KDE and msp3400.o

Jay Goldberg jay at ransdoc.com
Wed Nov 5 13:37:24 EST 2003

Hi folks

Sorry to send this to both mythtv-users and ivtv-devel, but perhaps
somebody has seen this behavior before.  I haven't seen any answers
for this on the list as far as I know - forgive me if I'm wrong...

My MythTV box is a PIII 450 with a PVR-350 and an old ATI 3D Rage Pro.

With the decoder-alpha-311003A drivers, I've been able to use the ivtv-fb
driver for a second X display, and I've gotten great (!) video using:

    dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k

...but only before loading the ivtv-fb driver and starting X & KDE.
The errors I was seeing in syslog after starting X & KDE and trying
to watch LiveTV were:

Nov  5 09:02:51 tesla kernel: msp34xx: I/O error #1 (read 0x10/0x200)
Nov  5 09:02:51 tesla kernel: msp34xx: I/O error #2 (read 0x10/0x200)
Nov  5 09:02:51 tesla kernel: msp34xx: I/O error #3 (read 0x10/0x200)
Nov  5 09:02:51 tesla kernel: msp34xx: giving up, reseting chip. Sound
will go off, sorry folks :-|

...and an "operation not permitted error" if I tried to use the
ivtvfbctl command.  But this worked fine before starting X & KDE.

This morning I disabled KDE, and just started X on both displays.
And suddenly everything works great for watching Live TV, including
the OSD when I rewind or fast forward.

But starting KDE *reliably* causes the msp34xx errors and as a result -
no Live TV and no input from /dev/video0.

Has anyone seen this?  Any recommendations?

Of course my workaround's not bad for a dedicated MythTV box - mwm
isn't much of a resource hog and starts much faster than KDE :)

	Cheers
		Jay

FWIW: configs and selected syslogs at http://www.ransdoc.com/mythtv/

--