[mythtv-users] XvMC question

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Wed Nov 5 15:09:02 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Joseph A. Caputo
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:14 PM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] XvMC question

Okay, I grabbed yesterday's CVS and rebuilt with XvMC support.  I'm
pretty sure it's in there, since when I do an 'ldd' on mythfrontend, it
shows a dependency on libXvMCNVIDIA_blah_blah_blah.so.  This is with
the -4363 NVidia drivers and a GF4MX.  The thing is, I'm not sure if
it's working or what I should be seeing.  I don't think the relevant
code is being run, as I still see a color OSD, and my CPU usage during
playback doesn't seem to have changed (I wasn't expecting much, but I
thought the change might at least be noticeable in 'top').

So, right now I'm pursuing 2 possibilities:  either I've mis-configured
something, or XvMC isn't invoked/doesn't help for RTjpeg playback (all
my recordings are RTjpeg).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

-JAC

As far as I know, xvmc is only used for accelerating MPEG2 decompression.
There may be ways to use it for other decompression methods, such as Mpeg-4,
but currently nothing like that is implemented that I know of. XvMC is
really only useful for people with PVR-x50's, pcHDTV, or DVB cards.
-Jason