[mythtv-users] Re:Alternative to separate front-end

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Thu Nov 6 10:47:08 EST 2003

I'm about to setup some lines this weekend for my house.  I'm using Wall
plates from partsexpress.com and Home Depot.  Basically I run CAT5 and
pass serial over it for the remote receiver.  Then I run Svid and Audio
cables (a 50ft combo cable is only 10$ from partsexpress).  All this from
the office to the livingroom.

You could setup a distribution block to engage this to multiple rooms, but
you would have the same IR problem as the coax method (only one receiver).
You would however be able to get better video/audio through the cabling
than you would through RG6.

They're expensive, but if you have the money, there are a number of remote
controls that are RF, with IR transmitters.  This would allow you to bring
the remote into any room and have it work.

These remotes could also be programmed for any other device in your house.
This would allow you to put ALL your A/V equipment downstairs, and
distribute them throughout the house (I'm heading this route).
www.remotecentral.com (http://www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm) has a
nice list of them.

I personally recommend the Home Theater Master brand b/c I like "hard"
buttons instead of LCD's.  They have a number of RF models available.