[mythtv-users] lirc problem after crash

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 11:48:47 EST 2003

Top-posting corrected.

On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:37, MythTV at C4L wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 20:56, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > MythTV at C4L wrote:
> > > I've been playing around with TVOUT & PVR350 and I've gotten the
> > > system to lock up a couple of times.  I think now I've lost some
> > > files and mythfrontend is complaining about lirc when it starts:
> > >
> > > mythfrontend -v
> > > 2003-11-05 19:00:02 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
> > > mythtv: could not connect to socket
> > > mythtv: No such file or directory
> > > Failed to create lirc socket for mythtv
> > >
> > > I'm not sure which "file or directory" is missing.  Here's a look
> > > at /dev/lirc*
> > >
> > > srw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Nov  5 17:59
> > > /dev/lircd=
> > >
> > > /dev/lirc:
> > > total 0
> > > crw-rw----    1 root     mythtv    61,   0 Dec 31  1969 0
> > >
> > > I've rerun "make install" from the my mythtv build directory.
> > > I've got lirc compiled into mythfrontend.  I'm at a loss.  Any
> > > ideas how I can find out what is missing?
> >
> > I take it you've rebooted at some point?  Are you auto-starting
> > lircd when you reboot?
> >
> > -JAC
> >

> No, I'm not loading anything ivtv/myth related when I first boot.

I didn't ask about ivtv or Myth; I asked if you were starting lircd.
You won't get any reponse from /dev/lirc if lircd isn't running.

> I have played around a little bit more, and now I can get "irw" to
> repond to the remote, but when I start "mythfrontend" I still get the
> same error messages:
>
> mythtv: could not connect to socket
> mythtv: No such file or directory
> Failed to create lirc socket for mythtv

Hmmm, are you running some other program that's using lirc?  irevent or
irxevent, perhaps?  You're not supposed to run those if you're using
Myth's native LIRC support.  I don't know if LIRC supports multiple
processes simultaneously.  I don't use the native LIRC support, so I'm
really not familiar with all of the specific issues.

-JAC