[mythtv-users] Dual Tuners

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 14:54:23 EST 2003

> does anyone have a smaple config of two tuners or a good reference for the
> proper order (and schema) for loading the modules they could share? For
> soem reason my ivtv stuff wont initialize anymore (although I can modprobe
> after the machine boots) and I dont have a reference in my modules.conf to
> bttv at all. Is there a way to force order properly so my PVR-250 loads as
> video0 and the bttv card loads as /dev/video1?

in modules.conf, the meaning of the line
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
is this: if anything/anybody needs to access device with major number 81 and
minor number 0, load the ivtv module.  The minor number will determine what
device the driver gets attached to, in this case to /dev/video0.  If you want
bttv to get attached to /dev/video1, add this line to /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-81-1 bttv
Then any time you want to access /dev/video1, you'll be using bttv.

You can extend this logic to 2, 3, etc.

Oh, and lest I forget, any time you compile new modules or change
/etc/modules.conf, do

depmod -a `uname -r` (or depmod -a 2.4.22, if you know you're running 2.4.22,
for example)

And one last thing, even though in the 0.12 announcement Isaac mentioned that
ivtv and bttv should coexist better than before, I still have difficulty
using my bt878 card alongside pvr-350.  More on that in a new email...

IvanK.