[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 10, Issue 20 (half height PCI cards)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Nov 7 03:07:29 EST 2003

On Nov 6, 2003, at 22:31, Dane Kantner wrote:

>>> 4. 1/2 height tuner cards? anyone know of any? The slim design cases
>>> at http://www.directron.com  would look really cool.
>
> I bought a half height case (one of the coolermaster black ones)
> thinking
> the same thing... i now use it as my main PC, instead of the mythTV
> box it
> was intended to be.

Eh? Which CoolerMaster? Mine takes full height cards...

> Finding a half height PCI tv capture card wasn't hard at all....
> finding one
> that was the right chipset was a pain... i found a flyvideo 3100 made
> by
> lifeview, thats based onthe saa713x chipset.  i didn't get it working,
> though.... so i returned it.  most of the half height cards I found
> were
> either long out of stock, or were the conexant cx88 chipset that isn't
> really supported that well by anyone yet.

Yeah, the cx88 driver is still VERY pre-alpha...

> I can't speak of the yuan encoder card that someone else mentioned...
> though, it is out of stock on newegg anyway.

http://www.yuan.com.tw/products_dvdg600.htm

Works perfectly w/the ivtv driver.

> my advice is to stay clear of the half height cases, they severly
> limit your
> choices....

Yeah, but the Hush PC we just got in at work is freakin' cool... (less
than half-height, too). We're putting together a bunch of
to-be-voice-enabled set-top boxes and in-car PCs, all based on EPIA
boards... In the upcoming months, I'll be yanking my CD deck for an
EPIA M-1000 system, controlled primarily by voice. The down side is
that our software (the voice control part) is mostly Windows-only (with
a QNX port in existence, and a Linux port in discussion...).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...