[mythtv-users] PVR 350 quick questions

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Fri Nov 7 10:48:19 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 15:17, daryl at des.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> I am thinking of a setup with the following specification :
>
> EPIA ME6000
> 256 meg PC2100
> Samsung 5400 spin HDD
> Hauppauge PVR-350

Same setup as mine, except I went for 512MB which I would recomend to be
able to get away without a swap partition.

> I have read that the 350 can encode and decode at the same time, will this
> make up for the lack of direct CPU power ?

Yes definitely, but you have to be aware that you are stuck with mpeg1/2
ti use the decoder/tv-out at the moment. The CPU is fast enough for
divx, but the tv-out framebuffer is not!

So you have to wait for a pvr output in xine or mplayer. How many pvr
users are in this group? Xine developer says he would like to support
the pvr, but cannot afford the card. Maybe we can raise funds for him?

> Through past posts I cannot see if the OSD is supported on the PVR-350
> output ?

Perfectly.

> If it is supported would there then be any need for a monitor (or use of the
> other tv output) apart from installing updates etc. ?

Updates are installed via ssh. I don't have any other display on my box.
You won't see the boot messages though. I have hooked up the tv-out of
the epia to another input on the DD-Amp so I can switch to the console
when a problem occurs. But this is rarely the case. Most of the time I
use ssh.

Torsten
--
Config files for PVR350 TV-Out: