[mythtv-users] ivtv works, but MythTV can't find it

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat Nov 8 17:07:37 EST 2003

When I run mythtvsetup, the "General" configuration works fine.  But when
I click on "Capture Cards", I get a window with a title, but no content.
There is no "New Capture Card" button for me to select.  I've tried waiting
a while, to no avail.  The CPU is >98% idle.  I can't figure out what it's
trying to do.

Background:  I'm running Fedora Core 1, with the kernel, ivtv, lirc, mythtv
0.12, and related RPMS from ATrpms.  I believe I've installed everything
according to the Jarod C. Wilson's excellent step-by-step guide, and also
referrring to "Installing and using MythTV" by Robert Kulagowski.

The manual ivtv tests work great; I can capture an MPEG stream using cat,
and play it back with mplayer.  The /dev/video0 device exists, is owned
by the "mythtv" user (which I'm using for everything), and I think the
permissions are OK.

I got the MySQL database set up according to the instructions, and
created the database using mc.sql.

Any ideas what might keep the "New Capture Card" button from showing
up, or how to debug it?

Thanks!
Eric