[mythtv-users] Opinion: Hetis 865G ??

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 9 23:47:56 EST 2003

On Nov 9, 2003, at 16:20, Travis wrote:

> I have been researching mythtv for several months and tempting myself
> with
> this as my next project.  After searching for reviews both on the web
> and in
> the archives here for opinions of the "Hetis 865G," I thought I might
> enlist
> the help of you fine folks in determining the quality of this box.
> The only
> things I would add would be a single PVR-250 tuner, hd, dvd, and
> possibly
> lcd screen.

Solid little system. Very similar to the Asus Pundit.

> Note, this is a case/mobo combo with power supply, no cpu/memory.  The
> spec
> sheet is here:
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/netpc/netpc_detail.asp?
> model=Hetis_865G
>
> My likes
> vga/s-video/dvi
> Spdif sound plus phono out in optical is not supported when I take this
> somewhere Size, obviously
> 3.5 bay (HD + LCD display ??)
> Price: just under $200 shipped

Not bad at all.

> Dislikes
> Location of optical out

Yeah, I hate the fact that idiotic computer manufacturers still insist
on putting SPDIF outs on the front of machines...

> Concerns
> Heat
> Noise (I'll probably slow the PSU fan and attempt a big, passive P4
> heatsink, if it'll fit)

There are definitely plenty of good, efficient cpu coolers out there.
Look here for some insight:

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

> Linux drivers (I'm still pretty green at linux, but
> I'm working at it)

That *could* be an issue, since it is a rather new system (or so I
think -- I haven't seen it mentioned before this). Looks like the NIC
driver is going to be the same as the Pundit, and so far as I know,
everything else should be supported by most recent distros...

> Thank you in advance for helping me make an informed decision on this
> matter.  Mythtv is a wonderful community and I look forward to getting
> my
> "hands dirty" soon.

Welcome to the party. :)

--